E-Liquids – The Inovape Guide
E-Liquids are of course a key component of your vaping journey. Finding the right flavour and nicotine strength for you is a major help towards success.
What is an E-Liquid and what is in them?
An E-Liquid is the liquid that soaks into the coil in your vape device. The coil heats up and then vaporises the liquid, producing the vapour that you vape.
E-Liquids are made up of a couple of ingredients. The two main ones are VG and PG. VG is vegetable glycerine and is used in food as a flavour enhancer and thickener. PG is propylene glycol and is used in food as a flavouring and to maintain moisture in foods.
The other ingredients are the nicotine, if you vape with nicotine in, and the flavourings to make up the flavour you have gone for.
What are the different types of E-Liquid?
- 50/50 Liquid – A 50/50 liquid has a mixture of 50% VG and 50% PG. These liquids are usually used by mouth-to-lung or cigarette style vapers. They are best for people looking to quit smoking because you can get higher nicotine strengths and they give a good throat hit like a cigarette does.
- High VG Liquid – A high VG liquid has more VG content, usually around 70VG/30PG or 80VG/20PG. These liquids are used in the bigger kits with larger coils because they are thicker. This produces more vape cloud and allows them to carry more flavour. Users would pick these liquids if they are chasing the flavour more than the nicotine hit.
- Nic Salt – Nic Salt liquids use the same type of nicotine as cigarettes. This means you can top up your nicotine less frequently and in shorter bursts, as you would when you smoke cigarettes. They have become popular because of this and the smoother hit on the throat they provide.
- Nic Shot – A nicotine shot (nic shot) is used to increase the nicotine strength of larger short fill bottles which have no nicotine in them. They usually carry no flavour, although ice nic shots are available which add a cool hit to any liquid.
- Short Fill – A Short Fill liquid is how the bigger bottles come theses days. They are named this because the bottles are short filled. This allows space for the nic shot(s) to be added to them to get the strength up to a 3mg.
What nicotine strength should I use?
This will vary from person to person but here is a very basic guide for a mouth-to-lung kit:
- 0mg = Not smoking cigarettes and don’t want to get addicted to nicotine.
- 3mg = 1-8 cigarettes a day.
- 6mg = 8-15 cigarettes a day.
- 12mg = 15-25 cigarettes a day.
- 18mg = 25+ cigarettes a day.
This is only a base guide and it can take a bit of trial and error to find the perfect match for you. Our sales team in store can give you some help and advice with this. Pop into our Solihull or Stratford-upon-Avon stores, or give us a call on 0121 711 1121.
E-Liquid Frequently Asked Questions
An E-Liquid is a mixture of a couple of ingredients. VG which is vegetable glycerine, is also used in the food industry as a flavour enhancer and thickener. PG stands for propylene glycol and is also used in the food industry. PG is used as a flavouring and to maintain moisture in foods. Both of the main ingredients in vape liquid are known to be very safe and not harmful to human, hence their everyday use in food! The other ingredients would include nicotine, if you have any, and the flavourings for the flavour. That’s it!
Yes, you can mix E-Liquids together. This included different mixtures, different strengths and different flavours. It can be a useful way to use up some liquids that you don’t like or are too strong for you!
A high VG vape liquid is a thicker juice, meaning it has a higher % of vegetable glycerine content in it. These are usually used in more powerful, straight-to-lung devices because they offer more flavour and a larger cloud of vape. The mixture of VG and PG in these E-Liquids is often 70 VG to 30 PG or 80 VG and 20 PG.
This all depends on the sort of tank you have. For most mouth-to-lung kits, which you would use like a cigarette, you want to use a 50/50 liquid. These allow you to have higher nicotine and will also work perfectly with the coils in your kit. If you have a more powerful, straight-to-lung kit, you would likely prefer a high VG liquid like a 70/30. These thicker liquids work better with these bigger coils, produce more cloud and better flavour.
The nicotine strength for E-Liquids is something you really want to get right. Too low and you’ll be craving a cigarette, and too high will make you cough. Once you find the strength for you, you really have a good chance of quitting smoking! Here’s how we would match you up to a certain strength in the shops. 0mg is best if you have never smoked before, nicotine is addictive and you don’t want to get addicted if you aren’t already! A 3mg would usually be for 1-8 cigarettes a day, a low nicotine strength but at least has something in there. A 6mg we would usually recommend for someone smoking between 8 and 15 cigarettes a day. A good medium nicotine with room to go up or down if you need. A 12mg would be our recommendation if you are currently smoking 15 to 25 cigarettes a day. This is a stronger strength which will give a good kick. An 18mg is the strength we recommend to heavy smoker who are over around 25 a day. This is very strong and it’s probably wise to start with the 12mng, even if this does apply to you. If you need any help picking a strength, pop into one of our stores in Solihull or Stratford-upon-Avon and we can given even better, tailored support. t goes here, click edit button to change this text.
Yes! We have lots of E-Liquids that do not contain nicotine. If you are searching for them, you need to look for 0mg liquids. The good news too is that any larger bottle over 10ml, short fills, don’t contain any nicotine, so just don’t add the nicotine shots! Best not to get addicted to something if you don’t need to.
The bigger bottles of E-Liquid are called short fills now because the bottles are exactly that. They are short filled. This is because no bottle bigger than 10ml can be sold in the UK with nicotine in. So a 60ml short fill will have 50ml of the vape liquid in it, and then a 10ml nicotine shot will be needed to complete the 60ml and increase the nicotine to 3mg. Bottles of E-Liquid are called short fills now because the bottles are exactly that. They are short filled. This is because no bottle bigger than 10ml can be sold in the UK with nicotine in. So a 60ml short fill will have 50ml of the vape liquid in it, and then a 10ml nicotine shot will be needed to complete the 60ml and increase the nicotine to 3mg.
A nic salt E-Liquid is a different way of purifying the nicotine compared to the normal free-based nicotine liquids. A nic salt uses the same nicotine as a cigarette does. This means that you get a smoother and faster nicotine hit from nic salts, making them hugely popular since their launch! Nic salts tend to give a longer lasting nicotine hit, which means you can use your vape like you would smoke a cigarette, in smaller and less frequent doses.
A nic shot is a 10ml bottle of nicotine (usually unflavoured but cool nic shots are available) which is used to increase the nicotine strength in larger, short fill bottles. These have become essential for anyone using the bigger short fill bottles because any bottle over 10ml in size, cannot be sold with nicotine inside. This means you need a nic shot to increase the nicotine strength to your desired level. We include nic shots to get you to 3mg in all our short fill pricing, and stock extra ones on our site as well!
This all depends what E-Liquid you use. Some vape liquids do produce a smell, and others do not. It will be a little trial and error to find one you like that makes no smell.